If you read this article, it is likely that you have health and/or weight problems and are now actively trying to come to grips with the specific problems that you have.
I bet that you didn’t intend to be saddled with your health/weight problems. In your early adult life, you did not plan out the steps you would take to damage your health and then methodically follow that plan. You got to where you are now because of the circumstances of your life and your surroundings. These circumstances manipulated your choices such that you ended up reading this obscure website to try to find answers.
What sort of manipulation?
Humans are easy to influence. We like to think we make rational decisions, however, modern psychological research reveals that, in reality, we rarely make decisions at all. Rather, we consciously rationalise decisions that we have already made unconsciously. The unconscious mind does not have much of a logic filter and is more governed by sensory input, rewards, pain and feelings.
Advertising is crafted to bypass your rational mind and influence your unconscious mind. You may not even know how you ended in the McDonald’s drive-through when you had planned something else for dinner.
Why do you believe so much of which you hold to be true? You do not even stop to question what you believe – because you believe it. You don’t need proof. Did you ever ask for the evidence to support a belief before signing up to it? No – we don’t operate that way. Our beliefs are based on unconscious decisions.
- We believe many things that our parents believed.
- We believe those things that our peer-group believe.
- We believe things that we have been heard repeatedly.
- We believe things that we are told by people that we respect.
- We believe those things that have a strong emotional basis.
We don’t ask to see evidence for the belief, we just accept them, whether they are right or wrong.
Smells and tastes heavily influence our brain. You are constantly being manipulated by sensory input designed to influence you unconsciously. From the smell of fresh bread, the perfume of department stores, the sugary smell of sweet treats are all used to influence you.
The taste of food has been chemically engineered to trigger the reward centre in your brain and promote addictive behaviours.
What beliefs caused your health/weight problems?
Well, this is not a doctor’s surgery and I don’t have your history, but I will throw a few beliefs out there and you check how many you hold to be true.
- Saturated fat consumption is bad for your health and will lead to heart disease and stroke.
- Cholesterol is something to be avoided because it will lead to heart disease and stroke.
- You need to get more fibre in your diet.
- Vegetable oils are healthy.
- Eating fat makes you fat.
- Eating meat causes cancer.
- You can be healthy without eating any animal products.
- You need lots of carbohydrates in your diet to give you the energy to function properly.
- If you don’t eat carbohydrates then you will die as your brain can only run on carbohydrates.
- Eating too much salt will give you high blood-pressure and kill you.
- You need to consume more omega-3 oils.
- Fruit juice is healthy and kids should start every day with a glass of orange juice.
- Fruit and vegetables are good for you.
- You should eat more whole grains and legumes.
- You are overweight because you over-eat and don’t exercise enough.
- Government health and nutrition advice is based on good evidence.
The list could be much longer, but just believing a few of these will influence you to consume a high-carbohydrate diet. You would have to be crazy to not eat a high-carbohydrate diet with so many ‘positive reasons’ to do so and so many negative reasons against alternative foods.
However, all of these beliefs are, in fact, not supported by any evidence – check our some of the resources on our website. You can decide for yourself.
- are profitable for manufacturers;
- are relatively cheap for consumers;
- contain the perfect mix of fats, sugars and carbohydrates to trigger the reward centre of your brain and make you addicted;
- interfere with the ability to feel satiety (fullness after eating) and thus you will over-eat unless you consciously make an effort not to;
- trigger insulin peaks and subsequent troughs that will cause you to get hungry again soon after eating – and eat more;
- are convenient;
- are promoted by unceasing, relentless advertising; and
- are promoted by figures of trust such as celebrities and government departments.
It is highly likely that you got your health problems by unconsciously believing the messages that you have been inundated with. It is hard to end up at any other point because we humans believe what we believe, and rarely question what we already believe. You have been manipulated into believing what you believe. You have been manipulated to be overweight and unwell. It is almost inevitable.
You cannot make a lasting change to your health unless you change your beliefs to ones that support better health outcomes.
Changing your beliefs takes effort because you have been strongly conditioned to believe those things that led you to become ill. The nutrition information we provide on this website goes against the ‘loud’ messages you are bombarded with, but are nevertheless, supported by good scientific evidence. You will need to take time to look at the information and weigh the evidence for yourself in order to change your beliefs.